In more recent times, Richmond had had Brisbane’s measure. That hasn’t stopped the Lions getting the occasional victory here and there. In fact, around the timeframe when the Lions had three consecutive premierships, Richmond suffered repeated losses between the years 2002 to 2004. The two teams also had a rare draw during the 2007 season.
Between the year 1998-2015, Richmond has beaten Brisbane 15 times – GABBA (seven times), MCG (six times) and Etihad Stadium (two times). In three of these victories, Trent Cotchin netted the most disposals whilst in another game he was equal-leader with respect to disposals. Also in three of these games, Jack Riewoldt was the leading goal kicker and coincidentally two of these three were the same games where Cotchin was leading in disposals. Another four of these games saw Matthew Richardson as the leading goal kicker and in two of these games he booted an impressive six goals.
With regards to crowd attendance meanwhile – the biggest was 46, 961 in Round 20, 2013 at the MCG whilst the lowest was 20, 676 in Round 5, 2014 at the GABBA. It is thus ironic that the biggest and lowest crowd attendances occurred in consecutive seasons.
Below are Richmond’s top five biggest winning margins over Brisbane...
1. ROUND 19, 2006: Richmond beat Brisbane 142-60, an 83-point margin in front of 27, 211 at Etihad Stadium. Patrick Bowden netted 32 disposals and Matthew Richardson kicked six goals.
2. ROUND 3, 2015: Richmond beat Brisbane 137-58, a 79-point margin in front of 22, 441 at the GABBA. Trent Cotchin netted 37 disposals and Jack Riewoldt kicked four goals.
3. ROUND 21, 1998: Richmond beat Brisbane 155-78, a 77-point margin in front of 27, 912 at the MCG. Nick Daffy netted 33 disposals and both Mark Merenda and Aaron James kicked five goals.
4. ROUND 19, 2012: Richmond beat Brisbane 132-84, a 48-point margin in front of 22, 193 at the GABBA. Brett Deledio netted 33 disposals and both Robin Nahas and Luke McGuane kicked three goals.
5. ROUND 5, 2014: Richmond beat Brisbane 106-63, a 43-point margin in front of 20, 676 at the GABBA. Trent Cotchin netted 32 disposals and Jack Riewoldt kicked four goals.
What do you think will happen this Saturday afternoon?