The last 20 years between Richmond and St Kilda has mostly been a period of dominance for the Saints. The subsequent margins between the two clubs have been a mixed bag to say the least – margins under 10 points, margins of no more than two or three goals and some margins over six goals. St Kilda could be seen as something of a bogey side for Richmond and the lack of Tiger wins within this aforementioned period reflects that – with just 10 victories to speak of throughout 1996 to 2016.
The last time Richmond beat St Kilda just last season, in fact, the Tigers have notched up consecutive victories during 2012-2015. Their previous win to that was a nine-year drought all the way back in 2003 whilst they had victories across both the 2000 and 2001 seasons, with another victory coming after a four-year drought in 1996. Throughout the aforementioned 10 wins, Trent Cotchin led disposals in three of the games, though twice he shared this statistic with Brett Deledio. Meanwhile, in these same three games Jack Riewoldt led the way on the scoreboard, though once he did this in conjunction with Daniel Jackson. Also, six wins were at the MCG and four wins took place at Etihad Stadium. With regards to crowd attendance meanwhile – the biggest was 56, 783 in Round 2, 2013 at the MCG whilst the lowest was 26, 374 in Round 5, 2000 at Etihad Stadium.
Below are Richmond’s top five biggest winning margins over St Kilda...
1. ROUND 14, 2013: Richmond beat St Kilda 119-55, a 69-point margin in front of 52, 184 at the MCG. Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin both netted 24 disposals and both Daniel Jackson and Jack Riewoldt kicked three goals.
2. ROUND 15, 2014: Richmond beat St Kilda 117-73, a 44-point margin in front of 28, 487 at Etihad Stadium. Brandon Ellis netted 36 disposals and Trent Cotchin kicked five goals.
3. ROUND 20, 2000: Richmond beat St Kilda 119-79, a 40-point margin in front of 35, 463 at the MCG. Joel Bowden and Mark Chaffrey both netted 28 disposals and Ben Holland kicked five goals.
4. ROUND 13, 2001: Richmond beat St Kilda 126-87, a 39-point margin in front of 40, 783 at Etihad Stadium. Wayne Campbell netted 28 disposals and Joel Bowden kicked five goals.
5. ROUND 11, 1996: Richmond beat St Kilda 139-105, a 34-point margin in front of 39, 029 at the MCG. Paul Broderick netted 30 disposals and Nick Daffy kicked five goals.
What do you think will happen this Saturday afternoon?